Can you imagine anything cuter than waking up every morning to a tiny jar of Bonne Maman jam, like you’re staying at a tiny mouse’s bed & breakfast in a Christmas Hallmark movie? I thought not. Order the Bonne Maman Advent Calendar for $44.99 to try 23 kinds of limited edition jams (and 1 honey) like Caramel with Cinnamon, Raspberry Chocolate, and Lemon Yuzu.
5. Kusmi Tea Advent Calendar
Some people call it soup season, but others prefer a different form of life-giving liquid coziness: tea. If you have a friend who starts every day with a warm cuppa, get them a Kusmi Tea Organic Advent Calendar for $28.90. Designed to look like a winter carnival, this calendar contains 24 tea bags of various flavors of white, green, herbal, and black tea.
6. Palais des Thés Advent Calendar
Alternatively, you can turn to one of the Palais des Thés’ two tea-based advent calendars: 24 Days of Tea for $38, or Teas From Around the World for $66. A combination of caffeinated and herbal teas awaits, including a limited edition holiday tea called Le Thé Magnifique.
7. Angelina Advent CalendarAngelina, the Parisian teahouse famous for its decadent hot chocolate, will, of course, be offering a stunning Advent Calendar inspired by its iconic rue de Rivoli location. Behind each window in the store’s interior, you’ll find a delicious chocolate from their confectionary collection, for $65 per calendar.
8. Mariage Frères Advent CalendarLooking for a more luxe tea experience? Get the Christmas in Love Advent Calendar from Mariage Frères, the authority on high-quality, high-class French tea. Each of the twenty-five muslin bags of fresh tea varieties will be sure to add a little spark of comfort and joy for 48€.
9. La Maison du Chocolat Advent CalendarEveryone knows the wonder of that first few flakes of snowfall in winter. Such is the charm of the Snowflake Chocolate Advent Calendar from La Maison du Chocolat at $95, whose daily surprises are tucked away in the spokes of a snowflake. Enjoy the surprise of finding out whether the day brings a chocolate praliné or a fruit-filled chocolate treat.
10. Ladurée Advent CalendarLadurée might be best known for their macarons, but there’s not a macaron in existence that would still taste good after 24 days. Luckily, the French pastry house is very, very good at making a lot of other treats. For $149, their Luxury Advent Calendar contains delicacies like passion fruit jelly, rose and orange blossom marshmallows, Pyrenean flower honey, and chocolate-covered candied chestnuts, all set against a background of charming cutout confectionaries and ornaments. — Catherine Rickman is a writer, professional francophile, and host of the Expat Horror Stories podcast. She is currently somewhere in Brooklyn with a fork in one hand and a pen in the other, and you can follow her adventures on Instagram @catrickman, or on TikTok @catinthekitchen.
For those who celebrate, the only thing better than Christmas is, perhaps, the lead up to Christmas. The decorating, the bûches de Noël, the vin chaud and chocolat chaud. And, for children, one of the best parts of this grand procession leading up to the big day is the Advent calendar, which, if one is lucky, might be filled with little pieces of cheap, chalky chocolate that taste enthralling because of the day-by-day excitement of it all. Well, you don’t have to settle for that cheap stuff anymore. Instead, this year, get one of these very adult Advent calendars, all filled with French goodies to make you or a loved one feel pampered while battling through holiday shopping madness and dinner prep with the in-laws.
French Advent Calendars of 2023
1. L’Occitane Advent Calendar
Buying beauty products for someone else can be a sensitive subject, since you can never know another’s skin as well as they do. But a little sampler can be just the solution for when you want to make someone feel completely spoiled without investing in something they won’t use. (Even if that someone is you!) That’s why L’Occitane offers two Advent calendars filled with their famous French beauty products, like hand creams, body lotions, soaps, serums, and creams. There’s the Classic Advent Calendar for $80, or the Premium Advent Calendar for $140.