France and the U.S. Will Face Off in the Quarterfinals of the Women’s World Cup this Friday

U.S. Women's National Soccer Team forward Megan Rapinoe #15 in action, May 16, 2019. (see bottom of article for photo credit)

Event Details

Friday, June 28, 2019


Quarterfinals of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Advertisement

Time : 03:00 PM

The allies have become enemies. France and the United States will play each other in the quarterfinals of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup on Friday, June 28, at 3 p.m. EDT.

France secured its spot in the quarterfinals after Les Bleues beat Brazil 2-1 on Sunday, June 23. The American national team earned its after defeating Spain 2-1 on Monday, June 24.

Both teams have performed well throughout the competition, though the U.S. has had an undeniable edge, scoring a record 18 goals with three shutouts in the group stage. Team USA beat Thailand 13-0 in its opening match then went on to best Chile 3-0 and Sweden 2-0 before defeating Spain on Monday. France beat South Korea 4-0, Norway 2-1, and Nigeria 1-0 before beating Brazil on Sunday.

France and the U.S. are considered two of the best teams, and a match-up between the two contenders has been eagerly awaited. It will be strange though, that one of the tournament’s two best teams will be going home far before the final match. A lopsided draw put the three top teams (France, the U.S., and England) on the same side of the tournament bracket.

The data journalism website FiveThirtyEight gives the U.S. a 54% chance of winning against France (who has a 46% chance of winning). In the two teams’ history, France has beaten the U.S. just three times in their past 23 meetings, but two of those wins have been in the past three games.

The quarterfinals will be played at Parc des Princes just outside Paris, available for watching on Fox News.

Here’s how to watch the World Cup.

Event Details

Friday, June 28, 2019


Quarterfinals of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Time : 03:00 PM